world

‘We still have hope’: Searching for quake survivors in Mandalay

The BBC’s Burmese Service has been speaking to families and rescuers in Myanmar’s city of Mandalay, close to where a deadly 7.7 magnitude earthquake struck on Friday.

The death toll from the quake and a series of aftershocks has climbed past 2,700, with 4,521 injured and hundreds still missing, according to Myanmar’s military chief.

“We still have hope,” one man told the BBC as he waits to find out what happened to his missing sisters, who have been trapped in rubble since last week. He said 11 floors of a building collapsed on them.

You May Also Like

Europe

On 1 May this year Belgian journalist Roland Delacore wrote a personal opinion piece about the Church of Almighty God, which was published in...

Europe

Aigul Kuspan, the ambassador of Kazakhstan to the Kingdom of Belgium and head of mission of the Republic of Kazakhstan to the European Union,...

General

The European Union has formally announced it suspects X, previously known as Twitter, of breaching its rules in areas including countering illegal content and...

Europe

This editorial was published in Welt am Sonntag on 11 July 2020. As a young prosecutor, I used to wonder why white-collar criminals would...

Copyright © 2023 - News Europe

Exit mobile version